Afghanistan: Kabul: Continue to stand fast in secure location amid reports of intermittent gunfire at international airport
|Location:||Kabul – Afghanistan|
|Category:||Conflict, Shooting, Airport disruption|
Last Updated: 15 Aug 2021 20:30 (GMT)
Continue to stand fast in secure location amid reports of intermittent gunfire at the capital Kabul’s Hamid Karzai International Airport (KBL). Initial reports indicate multiple accounts of injuries involving civilians, though this has yet to be confirmed. The situation remains fluid, and the local security situation is expected to remain unstable in the coming hours. This is in spite of NATO assuming control of the airport facility as reported earlier on the evening of 15 August. Video reports insinuate a situation of panic as thousands remain stranded and await to depart the country. Meanwhile, International SOS sources on the ground confirm heavy Taliban presence in the streets of Kabul, while several security posts in Paghman district (Kabul province) have fallen under Taliban’s control.
- Continue to stand fast in a secure location.
- International SOS does not hold information on specific flights. Contact the relevant airline for further information, or liaise with your diplomatic mission about your government-organised flight.
- If you have a flight due to depart Kabul’s Hamid Karzai International Airport in the coming hours, reconfirm the status of your flight and liaise with a dedicated security provider prior to any movement outside a secure location.
- Do not act based on unverified information.
- Abide by official directives related to an ongoing curfew in Kabul.
- Remain apprised of the latest developments via diplomatic missions, security providers and local contacts, as well as International SOS alerts.